ANTLERS AND CLAWS: THE AUSTIN-BOSTON COMBO
4 lbs. boneless backstrap of venison
medium-hot coals, cook the stuffed backstrap for 8–10 minutes, rotating
every 2 minutes.
Warm Guava Sour Cherry Sauce and pool on the plate
SOUR CHERRY SAUCE
The sauce is great with pork, duck, or any game dish.
• 1 cup guava paste (6 oz. tin available in specialty stores)
• 1 cup dried sour cherries
• 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
• 1 cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
• 1 cup water
• 1 cup brown sugar, packed
• 1 tablespoon salt, or to taste
• ½ cup raspberry vinegar
Combine all ingredients in a heavy saucepan and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes.
NOTE: If you can’t find guava paste, try 1 cup dried apricots stewed with ½ cup hot water and puréed in the blender.
Slice the backstrap and fan over sauce.
Grill or Broiler
Chef’s Knife or Scissors for Lobster Shell
Smoke the lobster a day ahead and prep the backstrap several hours before cooking.
Click here for a printable version of this recipe (Adobe Acrobat required)
Click here for free Adobe Acrobat Reader Software